The countdown has begun for this weekend’s Joburg Pride, on Saturday, 1 October – which promises to be bigger and better than ever.
Organisers are expecting more than 20,000 participants to take part in Africa’s largest celebration of gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender life – this year celebrating the theme “Born This Gay”.
This Saturday, organisers have promised:
Pride revellers can expect performances from the two remainingIdols finalists as well as a line-up of local and international acts including the world’s number-one female DJ, UK-based Lisa Lashes, on the decks, rounded out by performances from platinum selling Jozi-based songbird Lira; rock act Kinky Robot; heart-throb singer George Meiring; as well as DJs and drag acts.
• Secure parking for more than 8,000 vehicles – simply follow the field marshals.
• A large cleaning team will be cleaning through the day both the Zoo Lake Sports Club, Zoo Lake parking and the route – keeping local residents happy, while keeping Pride ‘clean and green’.
• A bigger and streamlined bar with over 60 bar-staff to facilitate efficient service to the community.
• Two Pink Money points, streamlining the bars and catering sales – only Pink Money tokens will be accepted.
• Increased eating options – traditional catering rounded out by sushi, pizza and vegetarian options.
This year’s community market and community village will be located adjacent to the Zoo Lake Sports Club, with more than 50 stall holders, while there is HIV testing and LGBTI friendly interest at the community village.
Joburg Pride also has an official merchandise stand this year with a limited range of clothing. Proceeds from the sale of gay flags (R20 each) will benefit Luleki Sizwe – a non-profit charity for South African lesbians fighting ‘corrective rape’; its founder, Ndumie Funda, will be Joburg Pride’s special guest on the day.
BUSES FROM SOWETO, MAMELODI AND TEMBISA
Joburg Pride has organised buses from Soweto, Temibisa and Mamelodi to help transport people from these areas to and from Joburg Pride at Zoo Lake Sports Club. Please share this information with your friends who may not have access to the internet / facebook / website etc.
People who wish to use the service must contact the coordinator responsible for each area in order to secure their seat on the bus. All buses will be departing at 09h00 in order to get to the Parade on time. The buses will return at 18h00.
This service has been organised for people who struggle to get to Joburg Pride. If you have your own transport or can organise transport with friends, then please do so and leave the seat for someone who has no other option.
For more details and to secure your seat contact Tumi (Soweto) 082 727 0312; Nhlanhla (Tembisa) 083 313 7534 ; or Martina (Mamelodi) 082 780 6892.
JOBURG PRIDE 2011 – FAST FACTS
• Venue: Zoo Lake Sports Club, Parkview, Johannesburg.
• Times: Gates will open from 8am and the Parade will start at 11am.
• Entertainment will take place at the Zoo Lake Sports Club from the morning and gates and stage will close at 6pm.
• Note: From 2.30pm Joburg Pride reserves the right to close the gates to newcomers. This will be for safety and security reasons and so as not to go over our maximum capacity for the venue.
For more information, visist www.joburgpride.org.